Amat Students Start the New Year With New Resolutions

Sophia Salahuddin, Staff Writer

A New Year’s resolution is a tradition, most common in the Western World but also found in the Eastern World, in which a person resolves to continue good practices, change an undesired trait or behavior, accomplish a personal goal, or otherwise improve their behavior at the beginning of the year. A lot of people have their own kinds of resolutions. Not everyone needs a new year’s resolution, but it is a good idea to have one. Helps you set goals and routines for yourself. It is totally fine if you do not participate though. It is just something cool to be a part of and talk about. A lot of people usually say that their new year’s resolutions are eating better, going to the gym, being nicer to other people, or even just being more outgoing. It differs from person to person. I have heard of people also doing something different from what you normally hear from peoples resolutions. I hear people saying that they will get or receive things in the year. Basically manifesting, which is a cool way to go deep into resolutions and is different and exciting. It is different for sure.  

We then proceeded to ask one of Bishop Amat’s teachers, Guadalupe Robles, what her New Year’s resolution was for the new year: “I didn’t have any, but recently I tried to make my resolution to eat more because I’m really bad at keeping track of how much I eat.” We asked her how she plans to stay on top of her resolution, and she said, “I am going to be better at shopping for healthy food and making it easy for me to get snacks, so like keeping more food in my classroom, or like just accessible so I can quickly make myself more food.”

We also asked a fellow peer of ours, Isabella Siconolfi, a junior at Bishop Amat shared that her New Year resolution is to receive her permit and learn how to drive. “it’s something I need to do and especially going into my senior year I need to stop relying on others to give me rides and take me places.” She plans on staying on top and pursuing her goal. She said, “I am going to make an appointment and study for my permit test and take any chance I have to go driving with my dad and get comfortable behind the wheel.”

Bishop Amat senior, Martina Sanchez, told us that she didn’t have a New Year’s Resolution, and that is perfectly fine! Many people tend to feel anxious when deciding what to have as their resolution, and others may feel defeated when they don’t fulfill their goal.

We also asked one more teacher, Mrs.Murillo, she said “I don’t really have a new years resolution but mostly just to have a good clean start to the year and to be more healthy.” I had asked her how she plans to maintain this goal of hers and she said “ I plan to maintain this goal by exercising everyday of the week and tracking what I eat.”