Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

Sophomores Preston Santos and Joseph Jimenez congratulating each other after successfully getting a point against Cathedral’s Bryan Vasquea and Luis Zarala. Santos and Jimenez have shined for the Lancers throughout their seasons and are looking forward to making a good run in the playoffs.

After a successful season for the Bishop Amat Tennis team, the Lancers played their preliminary matches this past Monday, April 22, at Whittier Narrows. Each of the singles and doubles played against previous rivals from Cathedral, Santa Monica, and Bosco Tech.For singles, the Lancers struck out losing all their matches and being eliminated in the first round. Lancer Jaedon Magaling lost all three sets against Santa Monica’s Joshua Shaw with scores of 2-6, 2-6, and 7-10. Same luck went for senior captain Thomas Lam who lost his two sets 2-6 against Cathedral’s Jarred Fellin. Furthermore, Lancer Caleb Nguyen lost his two sets 1-6 and 0-6 against Santa Monica’s Neil Steinvorth. 

For doubles on the other hand, two of the three teams that participated in the preliminaries made it through to the second round. Lancers Daniel Salamat and Luke Reyes beat Santa Monica’s Delano Oppong and Sasha Yansen 6-0 and 6-4 in the best of three sets that they played. Moreover, Lancers Thomas Santos and Jayden Plunk defeated Bosco Tech’s Joseph Lee and Ryan Garcia in the last two sets with scores of 6-4 and 10-3. Unfortunately, Lancers Preston Santos and Joseph Jimenez got knocked out in the first round after a hard fought battle against Cathedral’s Bryan Vasquez and Luis Zarala with the scores of 1-6, 6-2, and 5-10.

The Lancers’ run in the preliminaries ended after the second round as neither of the two doubles teams that went through beat their opponents from La Salle. They look forward to going far in their CIF run and bring Amat their first title in boy’s tennis history.