Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

Mrs. Seman Steps Down as ASB Moderator

Dena Seman has been the ASB moderator at Bishop Amat High School since 2013, for about roughly 10 years. 

She has helped out the ASB members, alongside Mrs. Leeman and Mr. Espinosa, in many different ways by making them stronger and more accountable leaders. Mrs. Seman has also helped with organization and preparedness which has enabled productive work in ASB. 

“Holding the kids accountable has created a result in stronger leadership in the students,” said Seman. 

Seman has done so much for ASB behind the scenes she makes sure everything is organized and goes according to plan. She makes sure that every event will be great for the whole school. 

Balancing teaching and ASB has definitely been a challenge. Whether it is composing emails, printing out check requests, planning events or grading papers at night, it is hard to do it all. But her passion to lead these kids helps her to complete the work that needs to be done. 

She has a busy life and still has her own kids at home to take care of and it is hard to be able to go to their events and ASB events. It gets hard at times but she makes sure everything works out.

“Mrs. Seman has done so much selfless work behind the scenes as moderator, in order to make Amat a fun and welcoming place.” said Daniel Barreras. 

There is a lot of behind the scenes work that ASB completes for things to run smoothly that many people do not see.

“Whoever is taking on her position next year has some big shoes to fill!” said Angelo Abuel.

Seman stated that the most rewarding part of the job is when students execute an event really well. She loves to see them succeed and see how far they have come. 

ASB works hard to plan events for the school. Mrs. Seman is happiest when they succeed because it shows how her hard work and the guidance she gave them, paid off in the end.

Her stepping down is bittersweet since she has been doing this for so long. She is going to miss the strong bonds she has with the ASB kids. She has a stronger relationship with them since they work together in so many events. 

She will miss seeing the growth within the ASB kids. 

With her new free time, Seman is happy to have the opportunity to be able to attend her kids’ events and have more time for her personal life. At the end of the day, her number one priority is to be a mom. 

Students are definitely going to miss Mrs. Seman because of all her hard work and dedication that she has put into this team. 

She has contributed so much of her time and has a strong bond with all the ASB members. She has helped the kids in their leadership skills, confidence and organization. 

“I’m so sad to see her leaving because she did so much and was such an easy person to talk to,” said Devin Rangel.

Mrs. Seman talked about in an interview how she had a close relationship with the ASB kids and was given the opportunity to connect with them on a different level.

“She has made not only ASB, but the entire year so fun and enjoyable!” said Abuel.

Soraya Murrieta

As for the ASB moderator for the 2024-2025 school year, it is still undecided but we are excited for what is to come!