Mr. Davitt is ready to make his mark on the social studies department

An Amat teacher profile

Owen Egger, Special Events Editor

New teacher Mr. Pat Davitt is a young’un as far as the social studies department is concerned.

Teaching IB History HL 1, United States History, and World History, Mr. Davitt is a younger member of a department with decades of experience in teachers like Ms. Rosann Graff, Mr. Ronald Woolsey, and Mrs. Carol Moak.

Mr. Davitt agrees that there’s pressure to do well in this department, but pointed out the benefits of being a younger teacher.

“I’m able to learn a lot from their debating,” he said. “And even just in conversation with them, I’m learning.”

Mr. Davitt is passionate about history—and not just for the sake of his classes.

“I’m really interested in aspects such as Irish history and Chinese history,” he said. “Those areas are overlooked oftentimes.”

In keeping with the global orientation of the International Baccalaureate program, Mr. Davitt stresses the importance of relating history lessons to our lives.

“I studied things like terrorism and the War on Terror,” Mr. Davitt said. “I think the goal of all these courses is to get as close to contemporary as possible.”

Mr Davitt teaches sophomores and juniors. He stresses to his current students and those taking his classes that history is a subject that can be enjoyable and immersive despite its difficulties.

“As long as you work hard, you’ll do well in the class,” he said. “In and out of school, your effort will help you with my history classes.”