Napa quake brings urgency to disaster drill

Mr. Ulate and students melt during the disaster drill.

Briana McGee, Editor

Bishop Amat students and faculty took part in a disaster drill on Wednesday, September 3 to prepare themselves for a disaster.

This year’s disaster drill was more crucial because of the earthquake that took place in Napa.

On August 25, Napa experienced a 6.0 earthquake that caused serious damage. This was the largest earthquake to hit in the Bay Area in 25 years.

Students walked out to the middle of the field on Wednesday for a drill if we had an actual earthquake or disaster.

“I never really like doing these things because it is always so hot outside,” senior Sydney Martinez said. “But I know we have to prepare for the earthquake because of the earthquake in Napa.”

Students understand that they need to be especially prepared for an earthquake because of the most recent large earthquake.

“I know these drills are not meant to be fun,” senior Amber Rivera said. “But I also think that they need to be more organized because it is kind of confusing when we need to look for our classes on the field.”

We need to be prepared because of the earthquake that recently hit in August in Napa. The earthquake in Napa left more than 200 hurt, and destroyed at least four homes. Dozens of aftershocks hit.

“It was really hot going out to the middle of the field and I didn’t really know where to go and what to do,” freshman Julia McGee said.

Many of the students do not take these disaster drill seriously because they think that nothing will happen because it hasn’t really happened before.

“I don’t really feel like I need to take these seriously because since I have gone here nothing bad has even happened,” senior Carrina Curry said. “When it comes to us being prepared I don’t think we are because nothing has ever happened.”

When the students returned to homeroom they did a drill for a lock down.

The students and teachers went over a series of steps explained by Mrs. Salcedo over the PA system.

Each of the students had to get out of their desks and move to the wall closest to the hallway.