Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

Lancers defeat Santiago in first round

Story by Matthew Van Bergen
Staff Writer

LA PUENTE- The Bishop Amat Lancers (17-11) defeated the Santiago Cavaliers (13-7) of Garden Grove, 12-3, in the first round of CIF Playoffs on Wednesday.

Coming off a somewhat disappointing season, the Lancers had something to prove after barely making it into CIF.

The Cavaliers’ Franky Raigoza started the scoring early with a two-run homerun off of the Lancers’ Andrew Eppenbach giving Santiago the early lead, 2-0.

The Lancers’ answered back in the bottom of the inning by Evan Claproth’s double reducing the deficit to 2-1.

The Lancers’ continued the scoring in the second inning with a sacrifice fly by Scott Hurst scoring Michael Hernandez, tying the score, 2-2.

The Lancers scored big in the third inning due to the Cavaliers’ poor defense. Christian Moya’s double drove in two runs and Hernandez hit a sacrifice fly extending the Lancers’ lead, 5-2. Anthony Walters tripled, scoring Hernandez.

The Lancers’ DJ Daniels hit an inside-the-park home run widening the gap, 9-2. The Lancers’ added an extra run off an error by the Cavaliers’ center fielder, pushing the lead to 10-2.

The Lancers’ Eppenbach would only give up one more run to the Cavaliers after being relieved by Alan Rodriguez to start the sixth inning.

The Lancers’ relief pitching wouldn’t allow a single run and the Lancers’ would hold on to the lead, ending with a final score of 12-3.

The Lancers will play next Tuesday against the winner of the matchup between Downey and Palm Desert in the second round.