Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

Elizabeth Jimenez Promotes Debut Book

Story by Nicolette Sarmiento
Editor-in-Chief

LA PUENTE – Former English teacher Elizabeth Jimenez held a signing for her debut book, Oath of God, on Saturday at Bishop Amat in the Brutacao Library.

Bishop Amat students and faculty gave the author a warm welcome as Ms. Jimenez read an excerpt from and signed copies of her novel.

“[I came out] to support her because she was very supportive of me during my years at Amat,” said Lauren Vargas, a Lancer graduate of the Class of 2010.  “I look forward to reading [the book].”

Jimenez has decided to promote writing at Bishop Amat by donating part of the proceeds of Oath of God to two Literary Ambitions Scholarships.

Dr. Merritt Hemenway, who was with Jimenez through the entire writing and publishing process, expresses his appreciation and describes the encouragement Jimenez has given Bishop Amat.

“We’ve been on a ride of anxiety,” Dr. Hemenway said. “Seeing her fulfill her dreams as an author has inspired me to write my own book.”

According to Jimenez, writing Oath of God has taken four years, “a year and a half of research and two and half years of writing.” She says that being a published author is a blessing, but she will miss being a teacher.

“I will miss [my students] and teaching,” Jimenez said. “It’s so hard to give up something you love in order to start a new part of your life.”

For the past five years, Jimenez taught English III and AP English at Bishop Amat. She is moving to Chicago in order to continue writing and to pursue her degree in Pastoral Counseling at Loyola University.

Oath of God is available online for pre-order and will be released in October.

More about Elizabeth Jimenez and her novel