Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

A Fond Farewell: Celebrating Mrs. Fortner’s Legacy in Visual & Performing Arts

Mrs. Rita Fortner with a past art Class.

Mrs. Fortner is preparing to retire after a storied career teaching Visual and Performing Arts at Bishop Amat. As a dedicated educator, she has nurtured the artistic talents of countless students through her Art 1, Art 2, and AP Art classes.

Mrs. Fortner’s beloved teaching methods and her ability to connect with students creatively have made significant contributions to both the arts program and the student body here at Bishop Amat. Her classes have always been a blend of rigorous technique and personal expression, helping students not only master the basics but also find their unique voices as artists.

Mrs. Fortner became a teacher with a passion for art and a deep desire to inspire young people. She has spent over 29 years in education at Amat, during which she has left a lasting impact as a teacher and mentor.

“Mrs. Fortner’s teachings have influenced me so much,” said AP Art student Thomas Lam, “Her passion in art has convinced me to continue using art as a hobby in college.”

The joy of seeing a student have an “aha” moment when a concept clicks or when they surpass their expectations is an irreplaceable moment to behold for Mrs. Fortner.

Under Mrs. Fortner’s guidance, one memorable project was the annual art exhibition, where students showcased their year’s work. These exhibitions highlighted student talent and brought the community together, enhancing the school’s engagement with the arts.

“The exhibition was a great motivator for me,” AP Art student Jaime Vasquez said, “It motivated me to not just expand my portfolio but to also improve upon my art.”

Looking ahead, Mrs. Fortner plans to remain active in the art community. She looks forward to spending more time on her artistic projects and continuing to advocate for the importance of the arts in education.

Mrs. Fortner’s influence extends beyond the classroom walls. Many of her students have pursued further education and careers in the arts, often crediting Mrs. Fortner with igniting their passion for visual expression. Her commitment to high standards and creative excellence has helped elevate the school’s arts program, making it a model for others.

Mrs. Fortner has always emphasized the importance of perseverance and the pursuit of personal artistic vision to her current and future students. She encourages students to continue exploring and experimenting with different art forms and always remember that art is as much about the process as the outcome.

“Mrs. Fortner’s class has taught me to continue to strive for excellence,” AP Art student Daniela Lopez said, “…if not for her continuous effort in assisting me I wouldn’t be the artist I am today.”

With a legacy of such impactful teaching and an ongoing commitment to arts education, Mrs. Fortner’s retirement marks the end of an era for Amat’s Visual & Performing Arts department. However, her influence will continue to inspire future artists and educators. As the school looks forward, plans are underway to further build on the solid foundation Mrs. Fortner has established, ensuring that the arts remain a vibrant part of our community.