Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

Bishop Amat's Student Newspaper

The Lance

The Lancers Close Their League Play Early in the Preliminaries
Lancers stumble against Campbell Hall in a Beach Volleyball clash

April 30, 2024

Future Stars: Gabriel Guerrero and Daniel Albidrez

April 25, 2024

The ecstatic Senior Night win against La Salle

April 22, 2024

View All

Star Player Profile: Jaime Vasquez

Bishop Amat Senior and varsity soccer center half, Jaime Vasquez, was recently recognized for his performances on the pitch. The four year varsity starter commented on his path to present day and his goals for the upcoming season.

Vasquez has been playing soccer since the age of five and has been hooked ever since. His father introduced him to the sport and taught him how to play. Vasquez has looked towards his father and his grandfather as his idols of the sport, since they both played when they were younger. 

“They all support me. My grandpa is like one of my biggest cheerleaders” Vasquez states, “My dad supports me and what I need to do better and acts like my second or third coach when it comes to playing”.

Along the way, Vasquez has learned how to play different formations and with different tactics. He has implemented all he has learned into the player that he is today.

“Honestly, it’s probably finding different teams and finding a good team to be with” Vasquez said, “Throughout my career, I have moved through different teams and different coaches. Each with something that I have learned and used to improve my game”.

In the summer of 2022, Vasquez was informed by his coaches that he would become the captain of varsity for his junior year alongside two seniors at the time. The coaches applauded his leadership and how he directed the team both on and off the pitch. 

“Jaime is a player who other players gravitate to and follow, a natural born leader” Coach Roberto Diaz mentions, “He is a relentless defender who plays with so much passion on the field”. 

As a captain, Vasquez tries to support his teammates by talking to them on the field as a way to instill that as teammates they should always be there for each other. He also commands the best out of his teammates, making sure that they give their everything on the pitch, even when the game may not be going in their favor.

“Jaime is a compassionate player, and a leader that’s very adaptable.” sophomore Alger Calderon and Senior captain Juan Martinez reflects on, “He is an excellent player on the field with his speed and technique. It also reassures the team having someone like him in our defense”.

For the upcoming season, Vasquez wants to achieve the best with the Bishop Amat soccer team. He not only wants to win the league, but also make a good run in CIF.

“One of our biggest goals is to beat Cathedral, Salesian, and everyone else, including La Salle and Bishop Montgomery” Vasquez expresses the team’s goals for the upcoming season, “Our biggest goal this year is to get a title in CIF. We have the drive and determination on this team and know that it is possible for us to achieve”.

Personally, Vasquez aims to get all league defender to prove to himself, his teammates, and his family that he has the confidence and ability to leave a legacy at Amat for current and future players to look up to in the soccer program.