UCR’s newest commit: Mimi Dominguez

Lucca Wright, Staff Writer

When Mimi Dominguez scored the opening goal of Bishop Amat’s 3-0 playoff victory over Quartz Hill in the third round of CIF Playoffs on Feb. 14, it was her 44th goal of the season—a school record.

Dominguez has been a star varsity player since her freshman year.

Sean Koelle, who teaches the girls soccer class, said Dominguez always brings her A-game. 

“Mimi brings to the team leadership,” Koelle said. “Her teammates look to her at times to make those big goals when the clock is running out like she did at La Salle. She is a playmaker, but overall I think she is a very good teammate.”

While breaking school records and holding a leading force in games she also maintains a 4.2 GPA in the classroom. 

Dominguez herself sees how she blossomed over the last couple of years as a top-notch soccer player.

“I have seen myself grow more mature,” she said. “I have grown up with my teammates and learned from them.”

One of these teammates is her sister Arianna, a senior.

Mimi has become a guiding force for the Lady Lancers soccer team, a teammate they can always depend on to bring home the victory.

“One of the biggest things Mimi brings to the team is putting the ball behind the net,” said senior teammate Reese Acuna. “Working with her for the past three years and getting to see her mature on and off the field I have seen her work ethic and grit level up tremendously.”

Being highly regarded among players and coaches, she knows her role on the field.

“My main role is to get the ball in the back of the net,” Mimi said. “I control attacks against the other team as I am the first line of defense against them.”

She truly loves her position and her role on the field, describing how much fun it is to her going up against people and showcasing her skills.

“Mimi works incredibly hard and then out on the field, you can really see how she can get other players involved but also take over games by herself,” Koelle said.

This great rapport allowed her to receive many offers and opportunities to play Division 1 soccer at great schools, eventually committing to the University of California, Riverside last December.