Amat Students Around Campus Declare Their New Year Goals

Seniors Reese Acuna, Ryan Castillo, and Frankie Molina talk about their resolutions

Isabella Hernandez

Isabella Hernandez and Dane Reynoso

Isabella Hernandez, Staff Writer

New Year, a celebration of a new calendar year, marks the clock hitting midnight but also a time for a change. 

With the new year also comes new habits and new activities that involve people making “New Year’s resolutions.” 

A resolution, a firm decision to do or not to do something. 

People love making New Year’s resolutions. 

Some New Year’s resolutions include losing weight, focusing on work, and being nicer.

Sadly, most people do not follow through with their resolutions.

A study done by insidemastery.com says that only 43% of people expect to fail before February. This means most people expect failure and do not try to fulfill their resolutions.

People often get stuck in their old ways because of a lack of motivation and lack of results.

You find comfort in sticking to your old ways rather than changing for the better.

23% of people quit within the first week and most quit on the second Friday of the month. 

This low success rate for resolutions makes you wonder if they help you change or if they are just a trend.

With only 9% of people successfully keeping their new year’s resolutions, it makes you wonder if a resolution is enough motivation to keep the resolution. 

Asking students around the Bishop Amat campus, we found that about half of them did not make new year’s resolutions.

This is because as young people we do not have ambitions that require us to make resolutions. 

We just “do the damn thing.”

Other students say that their goals include getting better grades, drinking more water, and getting new cars.

Part of the junior class, Elias Salazar speaks of his resolutions (Isabella Hernandez)

Students’ resolutions are very different from those of an adult. 

Julian De Castro, a senior

at Bishop Amat, talked about wanting to improve his grades for the year.

“This year, I want to get straight A’s if possible,” said De Castro “I was able to get A’s last year and it would be nice to get them again.”

New year resolutions are personal goals that we set for ourselves and everyone has different points of view when it comes to them. 

“I may not have a resolution but I do have a rizzolution this year,” said Bishop Amat senior Santiago Salazar. “I want to get a girlfriend by the end of 2023.” 

We all have to try to complete our resolutions even if we don’t fulfill our resolution. 

Sometimes the resolutions we make do not even have to be a goal we want to achieve. It could just be a simple change in the way you see every day and change the way you look at things.

“I try not to have a resolution but this year I do, I have a word and it is surrender,” said Mrs. Rita Fortner. “Surrender to a lot of things like being too controlling or spend less time on things that control me”

While new year’s resolutions are meant to be fun, it could also be a time for reflection on ourselves. 

Art Teacher, Mrs. Forter, discusses her word for the year. (Isabella Hernandez)

Everyone should continue to work hard on keeping their resolutions. Best of luck to you on keeping your resolutions for 2023.