Class of 2023 Commits to Colleges

Sean Gines

Juan Chavez, Staff

Many of the senior athletes have made commitments to Division 1 universities. Aiden Ramos, Rayjohn White, Raymond Macias, and Lenea Guerrero all verbally committed to play their respective sports at the next level. 

The first year of their high school careers is marked by the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. All athletes could do was pray for the best and hope that the CIF board would allow for practices to continue and schedules to be released. 

However, for these athletes it is clear that they treated the time off from the pandemic as an opportunity to improve on their skills for their respective sports. Through their hardwork and perseverance, they were able to achieve their goal of attending a university on an athletic scholarship.

Rayjohn White and Raymond (Cookie) Macias both signed their letter of intent to continue their academic and athletic careers at Campbell University. White began his high school career at St. John Bosco High School before transferring to Bishop Amat entering his junior year. 

Although he was forced to sit out five games due to CIF transfer rules, he made an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball. Notching one interception this past season and a CIF Semi-Finals appearance, through his overall play he received two Division 1 offers: Campbell University and Cornell University. 

For why he chose Campbell over Cornell: “I like the weather, I like the people, and I like the education they offer.” As for Macias, this past season was the highlight of his 4 year Bishop Amat career. He received first team Mission League honors as well as first team All CIF Division 2 honors. On why he chose Campbell: “It was my only D1 (Division 1) offer and I just decided to take it. They gave me the opportunity to play D1.”

Running back Aiden Ramos and midfielder Lenea Guerrero also fulfilled their goal of playing their respective sports at the next level. Ramos picked up from where left last season, where he received first team Mission League honors. 

Entering this year’s CIF Division 2 playoffs, Ramos was averaging 3 touchdowns a game. In the first round vs Murrieta Valley, he broke the school record for touchdowns in  a single game with 7. 

The record was previously held by Bishop Amat football legend Ralph Brown. He finished the season earning second team Mission League honors and first team All CIF Division 2 honors. 

His goals after signing his intent to play for the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo Mustangs are to “obtain his degree as well as make a good effect on the football program and school as a whole.” As for Guerrero, she has been a member of the varsity girls soccer team since her freshman year.

Over the course of her career she received all league honors three times as well as San Gabriel Valley All Area team. This year she was nominated for team captain and as to why she chose Youngstown State: “Their facilities are really nice and their coaches were really nice. And I want to experience the four seasons.”