Lancers Shock the Undefeated Phantoms

Benjamin Garcia defending for Bishop Amat.

LA PUENTE – Senior Deven Jarvis led the Bishop Amat defense as they controlled Cathedral all night and helped lead the Lancers to a 42-21 win in their last non-league game Friday.

The Lancers welcomed in the Cathedral Phantoms into Kiefer Stadium where the Lancers silenced some of their doubters as they climbed to No. 10 in the Los Angeles Times High School Football Rankings.

The Phantoms seemed ready for a fight as they refused the Amat captains’ handshakes before kickoff. Then, they recovered an onside kick attempt that was overturned because the ball didn’t travel 10 yards, setting up the Lancers in their own territory on the first drive of the game.

After quick strike plays, Senior Blake Archuleta connected with fellow Senior Daniel Garcia on a 25-yard touchdown as Garcia extended and got the ball past the pilon.

This play sparked the Lancer fans and bench early on in the game as they continued to roar from the stands.

The Lancers kicked off to the Phantoms and on one of the first plays of the Lancers first defensive plays the defensive line squeezed the Cathedral quarterback out of the pocket. The errant pass led to an interception by senior and future Fresno State Bulldog Deven Jarvis who returned it for a touchdown. This set forth a storm of excitement as all of the of fans believed the Lancers were on the verge of a blowout win at home.

The Phantoms responded by scoring after a long drive ending with a 3-yard run by Cathedral’s running back.

The Lancers answered later on in the second quarter with Senior Wide Receiver Jaden Allen taking back a 42-yard punt return for a touchdown and brought the score to 21-7.

The Lancers ended the half only up by two touchdowns and knew they had to score more to contain the Phantoms late in the game.

Right out of the gate, senior Kenny Collins scored on a 1-yard run to bring the score to 28-7 and the Phantoms showing signs of frustration on the field with many calls not going their way.

The Phantoms caught their break on the next drive as a controversial unsportsmanlike conduct call put the Phantoms in the red zone and they scored from inside the 5-yard line with a strong run by their monster-sized running back.

The Lancers came back, answering blow-for-blow with an electrifying run by Christopher “Huero” Lopez from 26 yards out.

The Lancers then stopped the Phantoms on one of their last attempt drives, then scored one more time to solidify the blowout and bring the score to 42-15.

The Lancers were able to put in their subs, and though they allowed a late touchdown, they walked out of Kiefer with a 42-21 win and were amped up about their impressive 4-1 record and their upside heading into league.

This week, the Lancers will have a bye and will open up their league season against Chaminade Friday, September 28.

About the Contributors
Matthew Acosta, Staff Writer

Class of 2019

Favorite Song: You’re Beautiful by James Blunt (anything by James Blunt, honestly)

Activities: “I am committed to THE Ohio State University!”

Madison McCaffrey, Sports Reporter

Class of 2019

Favorite Song: Long Live by Taylor Swift

Activities: Spending Time with Friends and Family, Working at Marshall’s

Taylor McNeal, Reporter
Class of 2020 Favorite Song: Mercy by Brett Young Activities: Ambassador, Faith in Action, Special Olympics Volunteer