‘Super sophomores’ making names for themselves

Picasa

Photo by Megan Garcia

Story by Kayla Denson / Features Editor

Late in the opening football game of the season against powerhouse Santa Margarita, with the Lancers up by three, Trevon Sidney recovered a fumble at the Eagles 15-yard line. A few plays later senior quarterback Koa Haynes hit Tyler Vaughns in the back of the end zone for a touchdown.

Later in the quarter, Sidney intercepted a pass sealing the Lancers’ upset victory.

What made the contributions of these two players so unique is the fact that both Sidney and Vaughns are only in 10th grade.

Sophomores Vaughns and Sidney, known as the “Super Sophomores,” have been called the next rising stars of the Lancers’ football program.

Aram Tolegian of the San Gabriel Valley Tribune wrote the Lancers “were welcoming in a dynamic sophomore class that shined at the freshmen level in 2012.”

No. 18 on the field, Sidney, plays wide receiver and defensive back, is listed at 5 feet 11 inches and weighs 155 pounds. So far this season, Sidney has a total of 299 all purpose yards on offense along with two touchdowns.

On defense he has a total of 18 tackles and five interceptions. The school record for interceptions in a season is nine. The Bishop Amat record for a career is 15 and is held by retired NFL player Daylon McCutcheon.

“Tre has great hands and great instinct,” assistant varsity football coach Jason Harris said. “He’s a very fast and very smart football player.”

Sidney’s confidence and skill is what makes him shine on the field.

“By stepping up and doing a job that the team needs me to do, I boost my confidence,” Sidney said. “And this is what helps me play more efficient.”

The other standout, No. 34 Tyler Vaughns has easily accepted his nickname.

“I take being called ‘super sophomores’ as meaning that we have an advantage as 10th graders playing on varsity,” Vaughns said.

Vaughns also plays wide receiver and defensive back. He is listed at a lengthy 6 foot 2 inches and weighs 165 pounds.

Offensively, Vaughns has a total of 120 all purpose yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s ahead of his peers athletically and physically,” said Harris. “Tyler is able to compete with players much older than him.”

Game statistics show that both players are earning their spots on Amat’s football team, but what is it that makes these sophomores so “super”?

“It is very uncommon for players this young to compete on varsity and on that high of a level,” said Harris. “They are considered the future and are both the best in their class.”

With the rest of this season and many more to come, these boys have what seems to be a bright football career ahead of them at Amat.

“Our future plans playing at Amat is to win league and CIF,” said Vaughns. “We want to make this football program better than what it is.”