Interact Club members aim to improve the world

With their attention on the board, Interact Club members listened closely as their president Allison Tsai discussed their plans and the schedule for the Valentine’s Day picnic.

Members gathered in and volunteers were offered double hours as the first Christian Service period of the semester happened earlier this week.

The club sold boba again this year which continues to be a favorite with students. Every year they sell out faster than any of the other clubs and bring in revenue to help with their future plans.

Interact Club also participates in various service-based projects, including Rise Against Hunger, which will take place on March 14. About 50 volunteers have signed up to package over 10,000 meals that will be sent overseas to countries in need.

Mr. Bernie Kasilag has recently taken over the role as moderator from Ms. Kawa and has been impressed with students and their dedication to the club.

“My impression of the kids is that they are very hardworking and I’ve seen how they’ve worked so hard to make this project happen,” Kasilag said.

In addition, on March 2, members can look forward to participating in Read Across America, a day initiated by the National Education Association.

As a senior, Vice President and Treasurer Kiara Pascuczo hopes to pass down the Interact club message to its future representatives.

“I want them to understand that Interact club is about meeting new people and helping out others,” said Pascuczo.

Tsai added to this in her own interpretation of what the club means to her and those outside of Bishop Amat.

“We’re more than just a club, we’re a family who really wants to bring more to not only the school but to the community,” said Tsai.

Interact club holds meetings once or twice a month in Room 104 where they discuss community service projects and hold team bonding activities to provide members with a more close-knit experience.

They also offer many teen leadership opportunities such as the Teen Leadership Camp (TLC) which was held for seniors Dec. 6-8 of and the upcoming Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) for sophomores and juniors on March 20-22.

The four-way speech competition will also be available for members to enter on Feb. 25.