Column: The reality of high school relationships, according to Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. Rogers shares her words of wisdom about high school relationships with the Amat student body.

While the warm blossoms of Valentine’s Day float throughout the halls of Bishop Amat, we cannot help but ask the question, “Do any of these relationships last?”

It is no surprise that high school relationships have a critically low chance of lasting past high school, and an even lower chance of lasting through marriage.

Today, only 2% of marriages are from high school relationships.

Logically, the relationships we walk by every day may not last years from now. There are plenty of reasons why that is.

There is an exception, though.

English teacher Mrs. Rogers is in a club of very few. She is now a mom of four and happily married to her high school sweetheart.

Consequentially, Mrs. Rogers knows a thing or two about making relationships last.

Mrs. Rogers’ primary piece of advice for those who choose to date in high school boils down to one word: “Don’t.”

Mrs. Rogers, despite having had one herself, believes that high school relationships can create a lot of drama.

She advises those who choose to enter relationships to “take things slow because there is no rush.”

In high school, Mrs. Rogers was always open to the fact of the possibility of breaking up.

“Be open about the fact that you can break up,” Mrs. Rogers said. “It would be difficult but not devastating.”

Mrs. Rogers believes you need to have “patience, and the ability to talk and work things out” to maintain a long-term relationship at any stage in life.

“There’s always going to be different stages.” Mrs. Rogers said. “We’ve broken up and have got back together.”

Although there were difficulties in her long-term relationship, Mrs. Rogers wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

Marrying your high school sweetheart seems like an ideal picture at the moment.

However, we must understand that maintaining these relationships is extremely difficult, especially during life-changing high school and college years.

Most importantly, God will put the right people in your life at the right times. We must trust His plan for us and have patience as the story of our life unfolds.