Archdiocese honors six Bishop Amat art students

Senior Patrick Cunanan and his artwork

Gisselle Diaz, Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES – Six Bishop Amat AP Art students were honored for their participation in the Robert Graham Memorial Art Exhibit at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, March 8.

Students  from several schools across the Los Angeles area, including Bishop Amat seniors Patrick Cunanan, Marisa Saldana, Lisa Brennan, Casey Santillan, Larissa Mendoza, and Ariana Munguia, were honored at the Mass, which was accompanied by a presentation of certificates and their artwork displayed in the memorial.

Cunanan shared what his inspiration was for his artwork, titled, “A Reading from the Letters According to Leonardo.”

“My inspiration was the design of Leonardo Da Vinci’s sketchbook,” said Cunanan. “I was always a fan of his style in expressing scientific breakthroughs in a scientific way. So then, I figured why not add in the third aspect of Christianity to science and art.”

Cunanan’s masterpiece focused on depicting the image of the resurrected Christ.

Saldana also shared what her inspiration was for her artwork, “Agony & Olives.”

“After receiving the theme, I began to research things that I felt could inspire my artwork,” said Saldana. “I felt drawn to the scene of the garden of Gethsemane. I was also studying cubism at the time, so the painting was kinda all that into one.”

Saldana’s painting used the Cubist style popularized by Pablo Picasso.

“The Cubist style is made to draw the eyes in different directions to cause the viewer some confusion, in a way exploring the confusion and frustration Jesus must have felt during this time,” she said.

All students honored in this exhibit are members of the AP Art class, which is taught by Ms. Rita Fortner. The masterpieces were part of the students’ final grades.

“Because I had to turn it in the week of finals for my final project grade, I started the masterpiece earlier, so it took me about one and a half weeks for me to complete it,” said Cunanan.

The exhibit in The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels will be open until May 2nd.