Freshman service project helps communities in need

Valerie Valencia, Staff Writer

The Freshman Service Project, which consists of the freshmen class bringing school supplies to their religion classes, began Sept. 8 and runs through Sept. 26

This year, these supplies will go to St. Kevin & Precious Blood Church Religious Education Program in Los Angeles and South Central Los Angeles Ministry Project.

Mr. Bernie Kasilag, Bishop Amat’s Christian Service Moderator, suggested that students bring any extra supplies they have around their homes.

“Students usually have extra supplies that they do not need, in the beginning of the year,” Mr. Kasilag said. “These supplies can help catholic schools or parishes on the down ship who are poor or struggling.”

He said the parish priest at St. Kevin’s said the parish school and the parish mission programs are severely struggling, which is why they need the supplies.

At South Central Los Angeles Ministry Project, or SC Lamp, Genesis Tenorio, the development associate, talked about how they are mainly in need of cleaning supplies to wipe down the tables, wash the dishes, and clean the bathrooms.

Along with St. Kevin, SC Lamp is an organization that who focuses on education and family literacy.

“We are mainly in need of cleaning supplies,” said Genesis Tenorio, SC Lamp Development Associate. “We use them to clean the dishes and wipe down or disinfect the tables that the kids use.”

SC Lamp is focused on helping moms who are learning English as second language, and therefore need supplies to help both little kids and adults.

According to Mr. Kasilag, Archbishop Gomez intends on keeping all Catholics schools open. This is where Bishop Amat comes in to aid schools who need the supplies from the service projects.

“We’ve done better in the past years, but last year we did not do too well,” Mr. Kasilag said.

If each freshmen brought in at least one item, there would be about 400 items to donate, he said.