Teaching Dad How to Dougie

Monica Bautista, Staff Writer

LA PUENTE—The Father Daughter Dance was an extraordinary night where a person could walk into a room filled with dads learning how to dougie.

The lady Lancers gathered in the Carroll Center with their fathers for the 2015 annual Father- Daughter Dance last Saturday.

After the guests signed in they were welcomed in with rhythmic music and lights. The young ladies and their fathers walked arm in arm into the room and enjoyed a nice dinner with many assorted, delicious pastas. After dinner and dessert, the young ladies glided onto the dance floor with their dads and dance the night away.

During the days that led up to the event, each student had their own way of asking their father to the dance whether it was simply brought up in conversation or asked in a special way.

“I was going to surprise him by putting my dress in a bag with an envelope that said ‘father daughter?’, but my sister told him before I could do it,” said Crystal Mancilla.

The gym was filled with students of different grade levels and each one had their own unique reason of being there. There were students that have gone in the past and there were students that were experiencing it for the first time.

“I went last year, but this was my first year going with my sister,” said Samantha Ruiz. “It was cool having her there, because she would take my place and dance with my dad since I don’t like to dance.”

The event was not restricted to just the lady lancers and their fathers. The school opened up the event to faculty such as, physics teacher Mr. John Carter who was attending for the first time with his daughter, who is too young to attend Bishop Amat.

“I enjoyed seeing my daughter experiencing the dance,” Mr. Carter said. “She really liked dancing to the salsa pieces.”

The DJ played various types of music such as “Fireworks” by Katy Perry, “Fireball” by Pitbull, and the traditional “Cha Cha Slide.” Among the many songs that were played the song  “Push it” by Salt n Pepa was one of the most memorable, because it was played during the last round of the dance competition.

“This year’s competition was so much more intense,” said senior Sage Garcia, who was an ASB judge at the dance. “Especially with the sudden death round where the one dad started helicoptering, which was insane.”

The dance competition came down to two dads and since they were both fantastic, the judges declared them both winners. Priscilla Romero, Victoria Vieira, and Jenica morin who were the daughters of these two dads received tickets to the upcoming Sadie’s event as a prize.

When it came down to the last song, each pair met up on the dance floor to share the last dance. The slow dance was a nice way to close the night since it allowed the fathers and daughters time to appreciate the evening they had together.

“The last song was special, because I never had a dance with my dad,” said Andrea Figueroa. “We were able to reminisce about the old days.”

The Father-Daughter Dance was a special event that allowed the fathers and daughters to bond over a fun night of dancing and laughter. The students left with smiles on their  faces knowing that they were able to attend the event and spend time with the men who have helped guide them throughout their lives.

“The whole time I just felt glad that I was able to have so much fun with my dad,” sophomore Alexandra Roos said.